Tuesday, April 8, 2008

A Year Without Music

Last November I made the decision to not buy any music (cds, records, downloads...) until I had completed my Masters degree. If you know me at all, you know that I am a bit music obsessed. I love finding new bands and rediscovering I missed out on due to the unlucky chance of being born in the wrong decade. But I realized that I just couldn't reconcile spending money on music when I have to pay for school. Plus, it never ends. I mean, the need, the desire for more music is never quenched so you just need to get more and more of it. It's the definition of addiction, and I hate having an addiction. I realized I had songs on my computer I did not recognize, and cds that I have not listened to since the day I bought them! That is just wasteful.
So, no buying music until 2009.
It was very hard at first, but now I am really learning to enjoy the music I have. By this time, I no longer feel that itch to buy every album under the sun. Plus, there are plenty of ways to get free music (legally), that I still get to entertain my hobby.

So, that being said, let's have some fun! It's time for Random Rules:
"Night and Day" Sondre Lerche covering Cole Porter on the album Duper Sessions
"Chicago (adult contemporary easy listening version)" by Sufjan Stevens from The Avalanche
"Patty Lee" by Les Savvy Fav from Let's Stay Friends
"Just Like You" by Waterdeep from You Are So Good To Me
"The Greatest" by Cat Power from the album The Greatest
"You've Got To Hide Your Love Away (outtake)" by The Beatles from Anthology

Remember, the original version of this game can be found at the AV Club website--check out the link to the left...

Thanks for reading. Peace.

1 comment:

Brynne28 said...

The new Coldplay single is killer and being given away for free on www.coldplay.com.

KROQ has a new single for download from The Offspring. You know, if you're desperate for new, free music :)