Sunday, April 29, 2007

Books Are Friends

In an effort to stuff my brain full of knowledge until it explodes, I've been reading many books of all types...

Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis
This is one of my favorite books ever. It is arguably Lewis' best work of fiction, and contains one of the most well-written female characters ever. In it he retells the myth of Cupid and Psyche, but it ends up being a allegory about how humans need to relate to God. We wear so many masks, and are often completely unaware of who and what we truly are. The books asks, how can we come to God until we have faces, until we own up to our true selves?

Miracles by C.S. Lewis
Definitely harder to read and understand but a great book that provides logical reasons to believe in the possibility of miracles. To me, the best chapter deals with the miracle of the Incarnation. If you don't think you can wade through the other chapters of philosophy, I would suggest just reading the Incarnation chapter--it's brilliant!

Emma by Jane Austen
I never read it before, and I'm about halfway through. So far, I don't like it as much as P&P or Mansfield Park, but it's still a fun read. I have to have something relatively light to read before bed.

Reaching Out by Henri Nouwen
I just started this one as well, but already I am really enjoying it. It's good soul reading. So far it has been talking about loneliness a chance for spiritual solitude and communion with God...

The Dance of Life: Spiritual Direction with Henri Nouwen edited by Michael Ford
This is basically a categorized book of quotes by Nouwen from a whole bunch of his books, so it's a super fast read, except that the ideas makes such an impact, I have to stop just to digest them.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows by J.K. Rowling
Ok, I know it's not out yet, but I'm really looking forward to it! Only 82 days left!

No comments: